ELIXIR! Cleansing Lemon Cayenne Detox Tonic
LEMON-CAYENNE / TONIC /
release & re-boot: cleanse + detox.
Sometimes, we find ourselves in need of a serious health re-boot. When Jolisa and I catch ourselves way, away off track- we pull back our routine to just focus on a daily ritual incorporating only the absolute basics. Where do we start? with WATER. It's no secret, the serious health benefits of lemon water. Drinking lemon water can help calm anxiety and ease depression. It helps your body defend against viral infections, soothes and smooths digestion, and does wonderful things like dissolve kidney stones. Plus, lemon's citric acid helps to alkalize the body by balancing the levels of your body's pH. We drink it every day.
Sometimes, we find ourselves in need of a serious health
/ re-boot /.
That's why we went in the lab (OK, the kitchen) and created this Lemon-Cayenne Tonic.
THERE ARE SO MANY BENEFITS OF DRINKING THE LEMON-CAYENNE TONIC.
HERE ARE JUST A FEW:
- Cayenne pepper packs an extra punch to lemon's digestion and immune boosting capabilities with Capsaicin, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium. Drink this tonic to help reduce inflammation, diminish ulcers and ease an upset-stomach.
- While lemon helps remove toxins through the liver, cayenne pepper turns up the heat by raising your body temperate and increasing your metabolic rate. Use the extra energy to sweat it out release toxins through the skin.
- Cayenne has been shown to relieve pain while lemons have been shown to calm the body. Drink this tonic regularly to help ease headaches, anxiety and depression.
- Both lemon and cayenne help to fight against harmful bacteria in the body protecting it from nasty viruses and infections.
- Cayenne pepper strengthens and improves blood and lymphatic circulation. Served hot as a tisane, this tonic is a remedy for sore throats, colds and sinus congestion.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (start with just a pinch - 1/8 tsp. if you're sensitive to spice!)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp. powdered cinnamon)
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- juice of half a lemon
- 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- ground black pepper to activate turmeric (this is important)
MAKE IT FANCY: add in fresh mint leaves for garnish.
HOW TO MAKE:
Put the cayenne, black pepper and turmeric in a glass cup, and pour the lemon juice in (optional: muddle in some mint leaves for a refreshing taste). Add warm water to your cup. Add more or less to dilute the tonic to your preference. Let it reach room temperature. Next, add in the apple cider vinegar and stir in honey with the cinnamon stick. This is when you can sprinkle in some powdered cinnamon if you don't have a cinnamon stick. Pour your mixture into a glass container (like a mason jar) and add in the cinnamon stick for some flavor. Stick it in the fridge or add ice to enjoy a spicy cold tonic!
Try it hot as a tisane by ditching the apple cider vinegar, adding ginger and replacing fresh mint leaves with dried peppermint leaves. The mint is totally optional. In a medium saucepan, boil the ginger and water. Once boiling, simmer on low for ~8-10 minutes. Add cayenne, black pepper, turmeric, cinnamon stick and peppermint into the water. Continue to simmer for ~10 minutes. Strain liquid mixture into your cup. Add in honey + juice of 1/2 lemon. Voila!